Thursday, November 29, 2007

COAT,UNCOAT...

I was in an unnecessarily aggressive mood – quite inappropriate for the task at hand, since it was one that required an immense amount of patience. The process of applying nailpolish disgusted me with as much intensity as the end results of well-applied nailpolish appealed to me. I have a history of failing miserably in all my attempts to accomplish a smudge-free, evenly-applied, smooth coat on even a single fingernail!
In denial, I had resorted to surveying the mess that I had made, with evident pride but the demon of my conscience pulled me by the ear everytime, to the unpalatable truth that it was one ghastly, soul-revolting mess!!
The immediate tendency of my logic-driven brain was to figure out the mysteriously evasive reason behind my innate inability to deliver a smooth finish. Definitely, my masterstrokes weren’t at fault! Maybe the nailpolish decided to play spoil-sport and got a little dried up, to foil my earnest efforts to succeed. Maybe the bottle that I decided to pick up at the store was sealed a little too late – late enough to allow its contents to wither. Maybe the brush that came with it failed to match up to my swift, delicate strokes. All hopes of one of these fantastic theories being true were dashed when mom walked in and in a minute or two, walked out of the room with nails well–adorned by the same ‘sticky muck’ which was accused of being the sole cause of the unfortunate mishap that my nails were a victim of.
With a fresh outpour of vengeance, I soon engaged myself in the monotonous sequence of coat and uncoat with my nailpolish remover playing the protagonist who bashes up the villainous and stubborn nailpolish. The nailpolish remover was a perfect antidote to all my troubles, a balm to my lacerated feelings, the harbinger of a fresh start and new beginnings, a retriever of normalcy – much like the undo button in an edit menu.
That reminds me of an incident in which the nailpolish remover unleashed the negative aspects of its nature. I wasn’t on the receiving end, not me! It reciprocates my love with equal intensity. A friend won’t play the fiend! I clearly recall what had happened..my friend once wished to wipe out even the memory of a greasy oil stain from the face of her latest cellular mobile. Resorting to the nailpolish remover wasn’t the wisest thing to do. She went ahead with this crazy idea anyway. Noone could tell that the mangled remains belonged to a fine-looking mobile phone once upon a time. I personally don’t blame the nailpolish remover. The entire act was preposterous! It was an insult to its supreme capabilities! Its analogous to using a fire extinguisher to put out the flame on a matchstick!
After hours of toiling, I finally managed to coat almost every fingernail with lustrous nail enamel. It was the smoothest finish ever and there wasn’t a trace of a fingermark on it!! Just one more nail to coat, I smirked with anticipation as I dipped the brush into the bottle one last time, almost not looking at it, since I had complete mastery over the subject by then. With the swiftest and the most delicate swish, like that of an angel gliding over heavenly waters, I delivered my mater of masterstrokes and slowly parted my eyelids to behold the marvelous sight. The indelible memory of the empty bottle and the brush sans the nail enamel still gives me extraordinary fits of giddiness each time I look at a bottle of nailpolish…

10 comments:

IVY said...

"The process of applying nailpolish disgusted me with as much intensity as the end results of well-applied nailpolish appealed to me."

Hard to tell if you are in favor of snobbery or against it. I love this sentence though. I hope I dont sound cocky if I say it reminds me of some things I write. My really good lines I mean. But dont we love the things that we strive the most to produce.

Otherwise, "Coat, Uncoat" was a a jaunty little escape, focusing narrowly and exessively on a detail. on your mothers "effortless" perfection and your determined desire to get someting right that for intellectual reasons might repell u all the same...

I sense you have a knack for examining human foibles... except unlike me, I sense that you are woefully comical, while I used to be the sort of person that laughed A LOT..I promise!

it would be interesting to see you develop the comical angle, mixing it in with moral dilemnas... I will say something because this post was well-written: I sense that you could do just what you did with all the details except with more of a LARGER picture. more about your mom and you... some dialogue.. somehting charming and twinkling to follow up the focus on something that could be a neuroses or a talent depending on the character... Do you get what I mean?
Of course, if I am aiming too high, I'm sorry!!! I'm only saying this because I sense that you might be a writer, interested in writing books , interested in publishing?? I'm trying to get a book published.. it is much better than my blog..much more crass, makes you want to laugh on the floor in laughter but then it shatters you type of writing...I was as surprised as anybody reading, maybe that helps..
I enjoyed this.

I could be all wrong. you might have written this as an excercise to stay focused on something very silly but that can take up all your concentration and seem serious because you are accustomed to seeing the large period..

Oh well.. I hope to hear stories from you about what India is like.

I believe I liked the book "Mistress.." it's by an Indian author. I wonder if it was translated...

IVY said...

PS. I am a gemini and I love the horoscope about me leaving my keys at the asylum...Oh good God! It is apropo and i dont know why!

IVY said...

Oh... I meant seeing the big picture not the big period!!!

Priyanka Shetty said...

Thanks Ivy..valuable piece of advice..I'll keep that in mind:)I'm glad reading my post made you laugh..thats precisely what all my posts are aimed at:)

Sweekar said...

And I thought you'd mess it all up in the last stroke! :D
You have a way with words. Keep writing :)

Maverick said...

Well...
Never knew bout your nail polish adventures till date... :)
It actually made my job of searching for your bday gift a lot easier...!!
Cheers sweetie!!! keep ya pen goin!!! :)

Shambhu said...

Ivy thought your post was, "woefully comical" I don't agree. I thought it was delightfully whimsical. Keep on keeping on!

Priyanka Shetty said...

Shambhu: Thank you!!:)

Archana said...

haha...liked the way u've added so much drama to an activity as simple as applying nail polish!..yeah..but ur right..can get tricky if not done with the right amount of patience! :)

Chetan Shetty said...

Thank God...guys never have to deal wid nailpolish n stuff :P