Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day

Yesterday was Valentine’s Day. The most miserable day in the year for single people who helplessly watch the rest of the world having the time of their life! I belonged to the former category this year. So in the listlessness of despair, I decided to recall all of those instances in life when i had denied bestowing affection on the unfortunate souls who had made brave attempts at unbaring theirs.One of those several instances struck me as rather amusing but it must have been the cause of much heartache for he other person around whose feelings the story revolves.
It all happened three years ago. It was the last day of exams. The paper was pretty okay and I remember walking towards the exit along with a couple of friends when I heard my name being called out by a rather hesitant voice.I turned around to find the boy who I thought, always seemed to initiate weird conversations which usually ended with abrupt and uneasy exit speeches. But what was that?! Had he undergone a complete makeover?! The formal attire was now replaced by a rather funky shirt with designs and patterns which seemed rather inappropriate for the present generation, teamed up with an equally funky pair of jeans. But he still hadn't made significant strides in the fitness department!
For the first few seconds, he did nothing more than shuffle his feet as I looked on enquiringly.I figured the uneasiness had something to do with the pants.Its difficult to find a perfect fit!
"So....How were your exams?", he stuttered.
"Well...I goofed up in a couple of them but today's paper was pretty good", I replied impatiently.
"So what do you think about me,Priyanka?" was the question he thought appropriate to ask next. I was progressing in the general direction of mental fog. This was all rather mystic. I had seldom met a young man with such a gift for asking inconvenient questions. It seemed like a year for perhaps two seconds. I was scarcely in a frame of mind to sing hymns in the praise of the person who had his eyes fixed on me with overflowing anticipation. After giving the matter much thought, I could only say
"You're a pretty nice guy..." His face fell at this.
"You're a very nice guy..." His face grew more cheerul.
"What else do you think about me?", was the next 'appropriate' question to ask.A foolish question, perhaps, but a man's brain is never at its nimblest on these occassions. A part of me wanted to catch him by the shoulders and shake him violently saying "Will you stop drivelling?!" But better sense prevailed and I again gave the matter much thought and I framed the answer with the following well-chosen words.
"Nothing else.That's all".
"Priyanka,I love you...", came next.My mind was racing. A series of images flashed in my mind in succession...the shuffling of feet, the abrupt and uneasy exit speeches, the weird conversations, the shuffling of feet...did I already mention that? My thoughts were in a swirl. For some reason which has escaped my recollection, I thought it appropriate to ask
"So, you're taking the college bus?"
For a small bunch of moments after that, I found myself wondering why there was a bewildered look on thr poor boy's face?!I had asked a perfectly normal question...
"Priyanka,I want your answer..."This accounted for the seeming enigma regarding the bewilderment easily enough. Well, the answer was a big no but I couldn't say that! I imagined that he would be as sick as mud. He hadn't waited until the last day of college to hear that!No that would be too harsh!
"Oh?Well,its a...How shall I put it?..." I was desperately groping for words.
"Do you love me?", came the next question as I stood staring in disbelief. The boy must've summoned every iota of courage he had in him.After all, he was speaking up after a year of supressing his emotions!It took me a couple of crushing minutes to react. The answer, I felt, was in the negative.He had but a pretty obese chance.It did not strike me as even a remote possibility.Finally, the part of the brain that often aids in the artful formation of a tissue of lies, began to gain control. I drew in breath for the delivery of the nasty blow...
"Well..I'm sorry but I'm not single", I said as I watched his face contort, twitch and quiver involuntarily.Rather touching.
"Oh...okay...I have to go now", he uttered before dashing off at three miles per hour.With his departure, I remember there was a marked improvement in the atmosphere.Today, he must be counting me among the most disgraceful people he's met in a respectable world.
I sighed as I recalled this incident.Gazing morosely out of the window into the night I wondered if it would be wise to ever disclose your love for someone.Sometimes such feelings are the strongest when left within our hearts...

28 comments:

Red Flashlight said...

A classic valentine's day story. "Between the dream and the reality falls the shadow" and all that.

Red Flashlight said...

You've inspired me to read P.G. Wodehouse. I always wanted to, I just never had the time. Now that I'm an 'adult' ... (*cough*) ... all that's changed now. I'm starting with "Jeeves and the Tie That Binds."

Archana said...

Like ur style..the teacher who circulated the 'cleopatra's locket' story deserves an applause!

N the last couple of lines in ur profile description...jus loved it!

Shambhu said...

I'm quite late reading this, but I'm glad I did! The story was wonderful, of course, but aside from that, you are such a gifted writer. Couldn't we read something from you more frequently?

Karan said...

Priyanka!

The many hearts you break! :-)

God, why did you make women?
Well actually, I have a story for that:

First, God made man,
then, He looked and said let me make something better.
And came a woman,
then, He regretted!

:-D

just kidding

keep writing...

Neena said...

hehehehe!! well written!

Pramod S Dixit said...

hey!! superb one.... haha... but i feel d oder way... always say IT.. coz if u get a no... u can always move on... all it taks is a bit of time... then u get used to hearing NO ...all d time .. just as i;m nw.. LOL.. again a nice one

uday said...

hehe....first of all....u were right....u can produce writing humour....really funny stuff man....hehe....i loved it...just introduce me to this guy next time ok.....must take a moment....hehe.....this is a 8.5/10....i know....don't ask where are the other 1.5....hehe..

Sharath said...

Something like this happened to me as well, actually. No, I was not the rejector, I was the rejectee.

I got the same line: "I like someone else." But she was nice enough to append that with, "You're a good friend. Shake on it?"

And we shook on it. This was three years ago. She is now engaged to the guy. And I am totally over her. It's amazing how people seem a lot less attractive once they reject you. Maybe it's just a case of sour grapes.

Hey, you play chess? We should play sometime in the yahoo chess rooms. I will give you a good game, unless you're really good :-)

Priyanka Shetty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
krishna said...

Was that Guy me...:)

krishna said...

Well I totally understand your feeling of being left out alone among all those ppl who like to "use" this one day to show their love.

I can recollect atleast 2 dozen women to whom I'd like to say those three beautiful word, and Am I glad I didnt. I did say it one, well kind of and guess to whom - A married women...ha ha that wasnt on your mind right. I did get the response it deserved, but thats different and I wish it wasnt. :(

krishna said...

Just to clarify...the response I got from the married women wasnt the typical Hindi filmy one, it was more of a shocked/surprised mellowed down version. I wasnt sure why I said that or what I expected out of it, you were right, "mans brain is never at the nimblest" :(.

wish you could see me actually laughing at myself :(.

Priyanka Shetty said...

Krishna..looks like men's brains are never at the nimblest;)

krishna said...

Prianka, Thats a bit of an over statement. I've learned from that one mistake and feel I can say those 3 great words to the right one now.

I am sure girls make mistake too, but in the case of love, even if they made a mistake the guys's the one who gets burnt. RIGHT? :)

Priyanka Shetty said...

Krishna...He He..I was just kidding.

chaitanya said...

hi
i think i am very late
it often happens in my life, the time i start thinking about an issue i get a phone call that it is solved. so, what next better close my mind and start dreaming. but still i used to stand with a grey suit and a few pages in my hand written by me and about me, that i would have handled that issue differently but i was not sure that whethe ri could solve it or not.

not more, i tried very hard to say that i am late even now.
i dont know whoom should i refer to priyanka the owner of the blog or sharath my classmate through whoom i came across to see you.

my friend is still thinking what to write and let him think and for you priyanka a good one.
i dont know the name of the book you are writing but i promise i wont be late in reading it. dont worry will buy it in a book store.

cheers,
chaitanya
jan rise entertainment
www.janrise.org

Harshâ said...

That guy must be hating the word
"Comitted", now !

Darn, it's really nice to be single !!

Priyanka Shetty said...

Thanks chaitanya:)The book's called "You don't happen to have any cyanide on you?"

Priyanka Shetty said...

Harsha....you seem new around here(my blog premises)

αlphamale said...

looks like that could well have been some long-lost cousin of bertie wooster who asked you out

amritesh kumar jaiswal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amritesh kumar jaiswal said...

its very nice piece of literature and somewhat difficult to follow.
I really praise tht guy who dares to say u tht he loves u. at least he wont have this regret tht he couldnt utter this much in front of u.

Anonymous said...

I've already posted on your blogs in our company..guess who i am :P

Cheers
RK

mathew said...

i so agree with the last sentence..but at the same times its not worth it..the guilt of losing out is even more painful!!

hey post your blogs here more often.

Wilson Bright said...

Thats was awesome..I have had a similar situation when I was in my school. Its always a pleasure to recall all those memories. Wonderful post.

praveen said...

KOBBU :D

Chetan Shetty said...

Where's dis guy now??..any idea :P